Monday, October 18, 2010

Art while you Eat!

So one of my favorite spots at Tech is ironically the Dining hall. The catholic church style architecture, that allows for Brittain to be called Hogwarts, and the stain glass art piece on one end make eating there rather enjoyable. I've spent a good bit of time staring at that stain glass piece and every time I do, there is something new that I did not recognize or realize from the last time. While is was donated by an alumni class from the 1920s, when there was no CS, or MATLAB, or Webassign, many of the objects and phrases in the piece are still very representative of the culture of Tech. Overall, the glass intrigues me the most because it is just another part of the rich history of Tech and how much the school has grown since the time that the piece was created.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad someone else thinks of this too. I am really fascinated by the stain glass in Brittain too. I think that its interesting how the kitchen is so modern and the conveyor belt is modern too, but the outside of Brittain and the stain glass makes me think of an older time period-Lauren Winkler

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely, as well. What I also recognized the stained glass in the student center that is right above Einstein's bagels. The window is actually on the side of the building, and I think it's a shame that most people will never notice it there. I only noticed it while I was waiting in line for a bagel and I looking towards the ground and saw the reflections of a bunch of different colors. I should really start paying more attention to things like that around campus!

    ReplyDelete