Sunday, November 14, 2010

How is that art?

The modern art collection at the High museum is something interesting. For me, modern art rarely gets the senses going much. Instead it just gives me the sense that half of that could have been created by any 6 year old. While some of the pieces are visually interesting, as well as intricate and even aesthetically appealing, others simply aren't. Piece of canvas that has been cut into a geometric shape and painted red does not say art. It says that the "artist" was inspired by nothing, then created nothing, and somehow was praised for his nothing. If this sounds harsh, well it is. But in all honesty, how can you stick random geometric shapes in a room, call it art, and then hang other pieces of art by Dali or Titian in the same museum and give them the same praise. Clearly, they are not one in the same.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with this completely. I went into that exhibit after looking at the Titian exhibit and I was not impressed at all. I felt like all of the art was so random and I had a hard time connecting with it, where as I could connect with the Titian paintings. Lauren Winkler

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the reason why many people feel this way is because of the lack of technical skill that such art entails. People appreciate the work of Titian and other more traditional artists because of their ability to create a detailed image that is also visually appealing. I think the reason that modern and contemporary artists get respect for their work is because of how they convey ideas. Some people like to take a simple work of art and try to figure out the artists purpose, different art appeals to different people. Personally I do agree with you though, I find Titian much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete